We all will have them at some pointâforehead wrinkles. Whether it is from the damaging rays of the sun or family genetics, wrinkles are part of the aging process, especially on the face and forehead. While we may not be able to stop the frown lines and forehead creases, there may be ways to reduce the appearance of these fine lines.
Letâs discuss the medical procedures available to you, and possible ways to get similar results with home remedies.
The Causes of Forehead Wrinkles
Before we learn how to remove wrinkles, we should understand what causes wrinkles on the forehead. You will see some situations call for acceptance as the situation is beyond your control, while there are external causes that you can avoid.
1. Sun Exposure
We know the sunâs powerful ultraviolet rays can cause irreversible damage to our skin. The rays can physically destroy the collagen and protein elastin fibers of our body. If this happens, our skin loses its elasticity and can no longer produce collagen. So, it is very important to use protective clothing and a sunscreen lotion with a high SPF for exposed skin.
Look in the mirror. Do you see any deep lines of forehead wrinkles? Does the skin seem to crease and fold deeply? You can thank your parents, and those before them, as genetics are responsible for these wrinkles.
Before you apply your makeup, take a look at the ingredients. Some makeup products contain harsh chemicals that may counteract your bodyâs natural collagen production of collagen. It can also affect the elastin fibers of your tissue.
While the product you put on your face is important, it is just as important to ensure you remove your makeup every night. Use a gentle cleansing remover.
4. Tobacco Use
Did you know smoking is as dangerous to your skin as it is to your internal organs? Not only does the use of tobacco products promote early aging signs, but it also impedes the production of collagen and elastin fibers of the skin. The chemical components in tobacco products cause dehydration by drawing out the moisture of the skin. All of these contribute to forehead wrinkles.
5. Facial Expressions
Did you ever hear someone say, âYour face is going to freeze like thatâ when you were frowning or pouting? They are partially right, as the more you make the same movements of your facial muscles, the more likely you will develop wrinkles in those areas. The creases of the folds of skin on the forehead take many muscles to move, and over time, they settle into those lines.
Most times, we may not be aware of our facial expression when communicating with others. While we cannot stop the natural movement process of our features, we can try to react with lighter movements of the muscles.
Sleep, or the lack of it, is another area to focus on for causes of forehead wrinkles. Sleeping allows your body to replenish and rejuvenate skin cells as it loses dead skin cells. You may be able to prevent forehead wrinkles by getting six to eight hours of sound sleep each night and hydrating your skin at bedtime with a glass of water.
Your sleeping position is also a factor in the development of the wrinkles on your forehead. Sleeping on your stomach with your forehead pressed on the pillow or mattress can promote wrinkles.
How to Get Rid of Forehead Wrinkles Using Home Remedies
Before we touch on the technical treatment remedies, we will check out several home remedy options that may help you slow down, if not prevent, forehead wrinkles.
- Use crushed pineapple and papaya to create a facial mask to strengthen the collagen in the skin. Rinse the mixture off after 20 minutes.
- Combine two egg whites and three drops of lemon juice for a whipped facial mask. Remove it after several minutes.
- Mix equal amounts of green pineapple juice and apple juice and apply it on your face for a 15-minute treatment.
- Combine two teaspoons of plain yogurt and half a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice. Add the contents of three vitamin E capsules and mix well. Use a cotton ball soaked in this solution and apply on your face. Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Tone your face and forehead with the solution of one and a half teaspoons of honey, two tablespoons of vodka, and one tablespoon of fennel seeds. Allow the mixture to set for three days after mixing. Apply it with a cotton ball as a regular toner.
Other Ways to Treat Forehead Wrinkles
The medical side of treatment for wrinkles of the forehead consists of procedures, lotions, and surgery.
There are countless topical treatment lotions and creams on the market promising to reduce or prevent the appearance of wrinkles. Approved by the FDA, these products contain ingredients such as vitamin C, DMAE, and alpha-lipoic acid antioxidants. The outcome relies heavily on the skinâs elasticity as well as the age and intensity of the wrinkles.
For decades, many women and men have turned to various surgical procedures to evade a creased forehead. Some of the choices include brow lifts, microdermabrasion, and laser treatments.
3. Botox Injection
What was once thought to be a treatment for only celebrities is now a common procedure. Botox injections target the fine lines and deep folds of the forehead with the chemicals of botulinum or Dysport.
4. Tissue Filler
Injections of collagen and Bovine are used to smooth out the wrinkles on the forehead. These tissue fillers give a youthful look to the skin.
Lifestyle Changes to Reduce Forehead Wrinkles
In addition to the natural home remedies, we will now look at how to reduce wrinkles on the forehead with several lifestyle changes.
- Perform facial yoga exercises to tone the muscles in your face and forehead. One such exercise is lowering the eyebrows and pulling them together at the same time. Next, lift the eyebrows high as you move them far apart. Repeat five times. Do this several times each day.
- Maintain a good diet of healthy food of fruits, green leafy vegetables, and whole grains.
- Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- Try to avoid, or at least limit, the stress in your life. Participate in meditation and yoga exercises.
- Avoid creating lines of the forehead and face by softening your expressions.
- Massage the face and forehead daily by using moisturizers with natural ingredients. Gently massage out the lines which promotes blood circulation and tightens the tissues and muscles.
- Use non-harsh chemicals when cleaning and washing your face.
- Wear protective clothing and use a high SPF lotion on exposed skin when in the sunlight.
Forehead wrinkles can be a concern for those over a certain age. No one wants to grow old and have deep creases in their forehead that shout, âLook at me!â These lines can be the result of internal and external factors that we may be able to defer with a few simple lifestyle changes and home remedies.
So, if those lines between the eyebrows or the ones streaking across the top of the brow are making you cringe, stop as this will make them worse and turn to your cupboards for treatment.
âTop 5 Causes of Forehead Wrinkle Developmentâ, Reduce Forehead Wrinkles; http://reduceforeheadwrinkles.com/top-5-causes-of-forehead-wrinkles/, last accessed May 23, 2017.
âCauses of Forehead Wrinkles, Treatments, and Home Remedies,â Beautyclue; http://www.beautyclue.com/stretch-marks/causes-forehead-wrinkles-treatments-home-remedies/, last accessed May 23, 2017.
Missimer, R., âHow Do I Get Rid of Forehead Wrinkles,â Health Guidance; http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/11526/1/How-Do-I-Get-Rid-of-Forehead-Wrinkles.html, last accessed May 23, 2017.
Daniels, L., âForehead Wrinkles â What are Worry Lines or Expression Lines?â Consumer Health Digest; https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/wrinkle-care/forehead-wrinkles.html, last accessed May 23, 2017.