A new study this year has uncovered the top 20 most commonly diagnosed health conditions by U.S. doctors. By doing so, it offers a glimpse at our collective health and what diseases are most troublesome to us all. For many of them, natural health options can be quite effective, including healing foods, herbal cures, and other natural remedies.
It is the top 20 conditions diagnosed by primary-care doctors and specialty physicians (like a cardiologist). The information reveals that heart disease, diabetes, and obesity remain major areas of concern for doctors and patients across the country.
Nearly half of Americans currently live with at least one chronic condition, such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Heart disease continues to be the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S., but it doesn’t have to be this way. We can all live better, watch for signs of problems, and do what we can to help our beating hearts.
The top 20:
1. Hypertension: High blood pressure, nicknamed the “silent killer.”
2. Hyperlipidemia: This is high cholesterol, which puts your heart at great risk.
3. Diabetes: One of the most prevalent health problems, often caused by obesity.
4. Back pain: The definitive most-common type of pain.
5. Anxiety: Far and away the biggest psychological ailment.
6. Obesity: An epidemic now for decades.
7. Allergic rhinitis: Known as hay fever, it can impair quality of life considerably.
8. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): GERD is more commonly known as acid reflux or even heartburn.
9. Respiratory problems: These include bronchitis, emphysema and the severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
10. Hypothyroidism: Low levels of thyroid hormones being produced.
11. Visual refractive errors: Your eye is not focusing light on the retina properly.
12. Osteoarthritis: The world’s biggest cause of joint pain.
13. Fibromyalgia/myositis, neuritis: Pain that is widespread and difficult to treat.
14. Malaise and fatigue: Needs no description.
15. Joint pain: This can arrive from many causes in many locations.
16. Acute laryngopharyngitis: In this condition, an inflamed throat causes severe soreness.
17. Acute sinusitis: Inflamed sinuses cause serious congestion.
18. Major depressive disorder: Depression is unfortunately a big part of society.
19. Acute bronchitis: Bronchitis itself, marked by a hacking cough, is a big complaint.
20. Asthma: Rates of this breathing problem are increasing, with pollution and poor air contributing.