Ginseng is an herbal remedy thatâs been used to boost menâs sexual health for thousands of years. But what does modern science have to say about ginseng and erectile dysfunction? Letâs take a look at a recent study.
Researchers recruited 119 men with mild-to-moderate erectile dysfunction to participate in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. The men were divided into two groups and received either four tablets of standardized Korean ginseng berry extract or placebo daily for eight weeks. A single tablet contained 350 milligrams of ginseng berry extract.
The research team then measured sexual function by using two standard tests: the International Index of Erectile Function and the premature ejaculation diagnostic tool (PEDT). These tests were performed at weeks four and eight. The researchers found that test scores improved across the board in the ginseng group compared to the control group. If youâve been having trouble with erectile dysfunction, ginseng might be worth a try as an herbal treatment.
However, keep in mind that a healthy lifestyle may be the most effective way to boost your sexual health. This is exactly what another clinical trial suggests. Lifestyle interventions shouldnât be discounted when looking for a remedy for sexual problems. In fact, following these 18 guidelines can do more for your sexual health than any one treatment can hope to achieve in isolation:
- Reduce your alcohol consumption to one to two drinks per day
- Reduce your daily caloric intake according to your weight loss goals
- Eat only low-fat, low calorie dairy
- Reduce your consumption of simple sugars and increase your consumption of complex carbohydrates including fiber
- Maintain your heart health by keeping your blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, and heart rate within normal parameters as established by your doctor
- Exercise for 30 minutes per day. One or two exercise days should include resistance training.
- Reduce your saturated fat intake to less than 10% of your calorie intake.
- Get 20 to 30 grams per day of soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Get several servings per day of fruits and vegetables.
- Choose lean, game and grass-fed meats over saturated meats. Limit your intake of meat.
- Consume less than 2,000 milligrams of salt per day
- Get enough sleep every night
- Maintain a healthy weight and waist size.
- Review the list of medications youâre taking with your doctor and determine if any have an impact on your sexual health
- Increase your intake of plant sources of omega-3s, including flaxseed, chia seed and soy. Eat healthy fatty fish twice a week.
- Choose whole foods over processed foodsâan apple instead of apple juice, for example.
- Use whey, casein, soy, or other protein powders to boost protein intake
Source(s) for Todayâs Article:
Choi, Y.D., et al., âEffects of Korean ginseng berry extract on sexual function in men with erectile dysfunction: a multicenter, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical study,â Int J Impot Res. March-April 2013; 25(2): 45-50.
Moyad, M., et al., âWhat do most erectile dysfunction guidelines have in common? No evidence-based discussion or recommendation of heart-healthy lifestyle changes and/or Panax ginseng,â Asian Journal of Andrology. November 2012; 14: 830-841.